Make sure you’re covered this July 4th! 

Are you having friends and family over on Wednesday for July 4th celebrations? If so, you might want to consider the insurance implications. Eighteen21’s regular columnist, Jay Davis of COUNTRY Financial explains. 

If you’re not sure what your homeowner's policy covers call your insurance advisor today. One of the most effective forms of coverage is an umbrella policy. A personal umbrella liability policy will protect you after you reach the limits of your standard homeowner's policy. However, this does not just pertain to someone getting injured by the use of fireworks; it will cover any accidents around the pool, in your garden and the home.  

If you’re organizing a party, with or without fireworks, you might want to look into obtaining a special event certificate, which is an extension of your homeowner's policy. Special event certificates are available for all types of private events including Independence Day celebrations. Special event certificates are even valid when alcohol is provided, but not sold. In many instances, these certificates are issued at a nominal fee or no charge at all. 

Make sure that you’re covered for all, or as many as possible, eventualities so it’s definitely worth checking with your insurance agent today. 

However you plan to celebrate, you and your guests’ safety is most important. Remember to keep fireworks away from children - even sparklers burn at 2,000 degrees - never point fireworks at others, always use fireworks outside, avoid lighting fireworks on grass or in containers – use a flat, hard, surface such as a driveway, wear goggles when lighting fireworks, have a fire extinguisher handy and a bucket of water and do not drink alcohol when handling fireworks.

If you would like to learn more about special events insurance, umbrella insurance, or homeowner's policies give Jay a call on 217 698-3480 or email Happy Independence Day!